The City of Toronto decided upon a subway, through a referendum held on January 1st 1946. The subway would run up Yonge Street.
Over the years, the subway was extended and now encompasses four lines, 68.3 kilometres of tracks, and 69 stations. The subways four lines are as follows:
The original line was built between 1949 and 1954. The line was extended on two of occasions, in 1973 to York Mills, and in 1974 to Finch Avenue. In 1987 the line saw the introduction of North York Centre station.
The subway was extended to other areas as follows:
- University Avenue, from Union to St. George station in 1963.
- Bloor-Danforth line, from Keele Street to Woodbine Ave. in 1966.
- Bloor-Danforth west to Islington Ave. & east to Warden Ave.in 1968.
- Spadina Ave. from St. George station north to Wilson Ave.
- Bloor-Danforth west to Kipling Ave. & east to Kennedy Ave.
- SRT from Kennedy Ave. to McGowan Ave.
- Spadina north to Downsview.
- The Sheppard Line from Yonge Street to Don Mills.
The TTC is currently extending the Yonge-University-Line north from Downsview up through York University and into York Region. There is also a commitment to turn the SRT into an extension of the Bloor-Danforth Line.
Long live Canada’s fist subway system.